Monday, November 08, 2004

So just when I've finished trashing those creepy lefties and am feeling good and smug about being on the side of the angels, my neighbors force a reality check. In My Little Town, we've got one of those chat lists where you can find rides to the airport, offer used stuff, share dubious wisdom and ... diss the rabbi. Our rabbi is a very fine fellow with what some of my neighbors regard as a fatal flaw: common sense. He recently made two statements which popped some fuses. Try them on for yourself:

1. If it were to strengthen the State, it would be okay to make a strategic withdrawal.
2. A withdrawal would not be the end of the State.

Do you see the insanity here? No?! Well, my dear neighbors, NM and AR, must -- verrry respectfully -- tell you that you are an incorrigible weenie.

To make it perfectly clear: I am opposed to the withdrawal from Azza. But I'm not quite sure what those who disagree with the above two statements actually believe. That we are obliged to maintain a weak position even if a stronger one were available? That if the withdrawal goes through, we should turn out the lights and head for Canada?

Admittedly, the first sentence includes too many hypotheticals for an angry person to parse. Apparently, by the time that sentence reached my neighbors' kidneys, it was taken to mean that a particular withdrawal will strengthen the State and the usual hysteria ensued.

If there's still somebody normal out there with both a backbone and a brain, could you please give a shout.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

[shouting] My place... An hour before Shabbat... Bourbon... Lots... See you then.

~treppenwitz~

10:35 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Looking forward.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've written you before but I've gotta say it again > I'm truly impressed by your thinking and writing being as it so closely follows the thoughts and thought patterns of the greatest genius and most clear headed thinker I know - myself.

Seriously, your thoughts are clear headed and expressed well, in a way that I find truly rare - d'ya ever vfeel lonely?

Cheers,

mnuez

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home