Friday, October 22, 2004

Who was a better second baseman, Ken Boswell or Horace Clarke? Who was a better outfielder, Cleon Jones or Roy White? I'm sure these earth-shattering questions were not argued over by anybody with greater ferocity than they were by my friend AS and me back in the Olden Days. He was a diehard Yankee fan and I was just as big a Met fan. Actually, even though he's now a Rosh Yeshiva in LA and I'm a professor in EY, we've only mellowed a teeny bit. (For example, I would no longer take the position that George "The Stork" Theodore was as good as Reggie.) I am proud to say that when I woke up this morning and checked the score, I resisted the impulse to dial his number just to make choking sounds. But, still, are you telling me you wouldn't take Kaz Matsui over Derek Jeter? Be honest, for a change! Yo!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no mention/contrasting of Ed Kranepool?

~treppenwitz~

10:42 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Oh, yeah. Needless to say, Joe Pepitone couldn't carry Ed Kranepool's cleats.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I always had fun giving my East Coast friends a hard time about their make-believe sports teams, especially if they play in the A.L.

Normally I wouldn't root for the Cards, but I am a Redbird fan for now. Look carefully and you can see Pepper Martin, Dizzy Dean, Bob Gibson and company strolling through the clubhouse.

Of course it goes without saying that it would be nicer to see the Dodgers.

But on the topic of the Yankees, I have no problem reminding my family that the empire melted down this year.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home