Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I admit it has been a while. I've been busy.

We are now marking a year since last summer's war. One of the most depressing and telling facts about that war is not very well known. Almost every rocket that came our way was detected upon launching and its landing spot was calculated. Thus residents in the relevant area could have been given 15 to 30 seconds heads up. In the vast majority of cases this never happened. This was partly a result of lack of infrastructure due to incompetence. But in some cases, systems were rigged up by resourceful citizens and these were taken down by jealous authorities. I kid you not.

When I get back from New York, I'm going to begin a series on what needs to be done to redeem the Israeli political system. In the meantime, one parting thought. I think there should be a rule that any Jew who is called a Nazi by another Jew should have the right to slug the guy.

5 Comments:

Blogger MoChassid said...

I just emailed you re lunch.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Natan said...

Nice to see you back.

I would love to read more about the early warning systems.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Rafi G. said...

I agree about the punching

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if "any Jew who is called a Nazi by another Jew should have the right to slug the guy," should an attorney for the Justice Ministry have the right to slug an MK in Knesset?

[The actual statement "You are worse than the Germans [or Nazis], you want to destroy the body and also the soul" is the kind of hyperbole seen before and I believe that Rav Amital made a similar statement when he was a Cabinet member. I remember writing to Meimad about it at the time. But I don't recall what he said exactly.]

11:08 PM  
Blogger Ben Bayit said...

I can see how in certain circles calling someone a "beheyma" might warrant an epithet such as "Nazi" in return. I believe that this is what he was called.

If anything this incident shows what the Charedim really think about certain National Religious types.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home